All about herbs...and gluten free 'pizza' recipe!
Posted on July 05 2016
Prompted by our new shipment of Dragon Herbs (we'd forgotten how popular some of these are!) this week is all about herbs!
We've got a guilt-free winner of a recipe with chickpea flour pizza base that can be made in under 10 minutes paired with a herby pesto - the choice of toppings....up to you! Time to get creative!
Yours in Yoga,
Lynda & Abbie
A guilt-free midweek meal, or host a 'pizza' party!
Ok...so it's not strictly pizza as you know it, it's a spin on chickpea dosa...but we're calling it pizza because you can top it with whatever you want! These super simple dosas take under 10 minutes to make so are a wonderful midweek meal, or for when you have guests - you can simply make a pile of these, lay out some toppings and you're good to go!
Chickpea flour is gluten free and high fibre food which many studies have shown can reduce the risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes and even some types of cancer! Not only this but they also offer a good array of vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, folate, B vitamins and selenium. Add the herby pesto and toppings of your choice...and this one really is a winner!
Makes 2 pizzas... (recipe: One Green Planet/Vie De La Vegan)
Ingredients (for the base):
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 3/4 cup water
- a pinch of salt
- optional extras (chilli, extra herbs, garlic paste, black pepper, or nothing at all!)
Ingredients (for the herby pesto):
- 3/4 cup mixed herbs (basil, coriander, mint, baby kale, parsley...whatever you fancy!)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of water
- pinch of salt
- if you prefer a more tomato-based sauce you can add tomatoes, tomato paste or sundried tomatoes for extra richness! You might need a little more water! Or you can do as we did and make two sauces - a herby pesto one and a rich raw tomato salsa!
- For the base whisk it all together and preheat a frying pan with a little olive oil if needed. Pour in half the batter and spread it all out into a circle with the back of a spoon. Fry for 3-4 minutes, flip, and then for another 2. Remove from pan and cook the second one!
- To make the pesto simply blend the ingredients until you have to the consistency you like and then spread on your pizza bases!
- Top with your choice of toppings and serve! You can also pop in the oven for 5-10 minutes if you want the toppings cooked!
Don’t feel restricted by your sequence!
Last week we wrote about how to build your own sequence for developing your home practice. Now it might seem a bit odd, but this week we wanted to remind you that it’s OK to differ from your sequence! Your practice will constantly change – the more you empower yourself, the more you might find yourself naturally changing things up – this is good! Don’t fight it!
If that pose you put in just isn’t flowing – change it, move it around, whatever makes it flow! However, don’t fall into the trap of making things too ‘easy’ or avoiding poses which are difficult for you – these truly are the ones you will get the most out of. The trick is finding the balance between constantly challenging yourself, allowing yourself modifications and just being on the mat! Some days will be better than others…but keep at it!